Arthropod Photographic Identification Website and
Entomological Consulting Service
The Mid-Atlantic Invertebrate Field Studies
(MAIFS) website provides a photographic
identification reference for the terrestrial and
fresh water invertebrates found within the
Mid-Atlantic Region. MAIFS is also a Consulting
Service that provides expertise and field work on
the survey, identification and conservation of
terrestrial and fresh water invertebrates in
Maryland and the District of Columbia.
MAIFS clients include:
- Conservation and Environmental Organizations -- surveys or evaluations of insects and other
- Federal Agencies -- surveys or evaluations of insects and other invertebrates
- State/County Agencies -- surveys or evaluations of insects and other invertebrates
- Environmental Consulting Firms -- targeted invertebrate surveys
pest control/management companies
- Private industry -- endangered invertebrate surveys and evaluations -- and pest identification for
- Individuals -- identification of pest arthropods and/or the conservation of invertebrate biodiversity on
Field Studies (MAIFS)
MAIFS provides field surveys, identification, wildlife photography, advice and
analysis for: dragonflies, damselflies, butterflies, stoneflies, tiger beetles, bees, ants, grasshoppers,
katydids, crickets, spiders, and most other arthropod groups; federal and state endangered/threatened
arthropods; Indicator species for freshwater wetland/terrestrial habitats and analysis/identification of invasive or
What is new:
August 19, 2015 -- Added new Cecil County, Maryland record for the Russet-tipped Clubtail (dragonfly) thanks to Kimberly Doucette.
Also added photos of the Click beetle Ampedus rubricollis, Barklice Cerastipsocus venosus and the Cicada Parasite
Beetle Sandalus niger.
August 14, 2015 -- Added new Cecil County, Maryland record for the Double-striped Bluet (damselfly) thanks to Mike Moore.
August 4, 2015 -- Added new Prince George's County record for the Seaside Dragonlet (dragonfly) thans to Mikey Lutmerding.
Last update: August 19, 2015