Entomological Consulting Service
The Mid-Atlantic Invertebrate Field Studies
(MAIFS) website provides a photographic
identification reference for the terrestrial and
fresh water invertebrates found within the
Mid-Atlantic Region. MAIFS is also a Consulting
Service that provides expertise and field work on
the survey, identification and conservation of
terrestrial and fresh water invertebrates in
Maryland, Delaware, Southern Pennsylvania,
Southern New Jersey, Northern Virginia,
Northern West Virginia, and the District of
MAIFS clients include:
- Conservation and Environmental Organizations -- surveys or evaluations of insects and other
- Federal Agencies -- surveys or evaluations of insects and other invertebrates
- State/County Agencies -- surveys or evaluations of insects and other invertebrates
- Environmental Consulting Firms -- targeted invertebrate surveys
pest control/management companies
- Private industry -- endangered invertebrate surveys and evaluations -- and pest identification for
- Individuals -- identification of pest arthropods and/or the conservation of invertebrate biodiversity on
Field Studies (MAIFS)
MAIFS provides field surveys, identification, wildlife photography, advice and
analysis for: dragonflies, damselflies, butterflies, stoneflies, tiger beetles, bees, ants, grasshoppers,
katydids, crickets, spiders, and most other arthropod groups; federal and state endangered/threatened
arthropods; Indicator species for freshwater wetland/terrestrial habitats and analysis/identification of invasive or
What is new:
July 20, 2014 -- Added photos of a pair of mating Hag Moths, a Yellow-shouldered Slug caterpillar parasitized by a braconid
wasp and the caterpillar of the Tulip-tree Beauty.
July 19, 2014 -- Added new Dorchester County, Maryland record of a Banded Pennant dragonfly thanks to Jonathon Willey.
Also added new Garrett County, Maryland record of a Double-striped Bluet damselfly thanks to Hans
Holbrook, Bill Hubick, Jim Brighton, Ed Boyd, Tom Feild and Jim Stasz.
July 16, 2014 -- Added photographs of the Cobweb Spider Theridion frondeum and the adult of a Spiny Oakworm Moth.
July 15, 2014 -- Added photographs of a Carolina Grasshopper, early instar Cercopia Moth, Golden-winged Skimmer
dragonfly and a Grapevine Beetle.
July 10, 2014 -- Added new Harford County, Maryland record of a Gray Petaltail thanks to Matt Hafner.
July 6, 2014 -- Added new Talbort County, Maryland record of a Great Blue Skimmer thanks to Jim Brighton.
Last update: July 20, 2014